1.) Spaniards are friendly
First of all, Spanish people are friendly. Yeah, sometimes you have to get to know them before they seem friendly, but they really are nice people! Although Spaniards are generally a little closed-in with their friendship circles, once you get to know a couple Spaniards well, you are sure to have a wonderful, life-long friendship. Unlike the American style of friendliness, Spaniards don't act friendly in a corny, over-the-top sort of way. They're friendly, but they don't have to ridiculously smile at you as you walk by for them to act nice. For example, they might sometimes go out of their way to give you directions if you ask -- I once had a lady walk with me to bring me to the place I was going, and it wasn't even nearby! They also greet you with two big kisses, say hello in the lift (er, elevator), and congratulate you on your birthday. (Yes, they say "Congratulations!" and, as a side note, on my birthday I was finally referred to as La Karen -- The Karen. What an honour!)2.) Public Transport
Imagine your morning commute. How many options do you have to go to work or school every morning? How much does that cost? How long does it take? My answer is that, to get to work, I can either:
In Reno, my only option was going by car. It took at least 30 minutes to get anywhere and a lot of the time it would only be me in the car (yes, singing along to barbershop!). I mean, the closest bus was four miles away and I would have had to switch buses just to go ten miles to the university. Not worth it. But, Madrid has a super transportation system where, for a mere 47.60€, you can have a monthly pass that gives you unlimited rides on the metro, buses, and commuter trains in the centre of the city. Even going around the country on trains, buses, and planes is a lot cheaper, faster, and easier than in the USA. We really need to take a page out of Europe's book when it comes to public transport!3.) Paella
Yes. This is a reason to love Spain. Paella kicks butt. Need I say more?
4.) Not being carded
I don't drink. But it sure is nice to not have to worry about being carded when I go somewhere with my friends. This is one of the things I'm least looking forward to upon my return to the states... I'm sure that because of an innocent-looking baby face, this designated driver will be carded until she is at least 40. Going along with the subject of booze, people are generally more responsible when they drink. It's normal to have a beer in the middle of the workday (around 12:00) and return to work. People who work more intense jobs (think Cal-trans or garbage men) might start their day with a café carajillo (coffee with brandy) to fight the cold!5.) Tolerance
Subjects like religion, politics, sexuality, etc. aren't taboo to talk about in Spain. In fact, people are very open to talking and discussing topics where most Americans would be on their guard about giving too much of an opinion to a new acquaintance. (Even in writing this post, I'm being a typical United States-ian and trying my hardest not to offend anyone!)
Spaniards (at least the ones I'm around) aren't mean to you if your opinion on something differs from theirs. I don't have to fear someone's reaction when I tell them what I think of Obama, for example. But when I go back to Reno... well, it's just different. In the land of the free, you have a constant, underlying competition of the "American Dream" going on in the back of people's minds, where everyone seems to have to show the next guy that they are better in some way. Spaniards just don't do that. Nor do they have to "keep up with the Joneses." They tolerate and respect people's differences, and they're nice about it.
Reasons 6 to 10 coming soon! I got a little long-winded on some of these!
Hey...those are on my list, too!
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful so far!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the disagreeing part (ha!). In my boyfriend's family, they disagree a lot, and they sound mad, but they aren't.
ReplyDelete