Monday, January 10, 2011

Fluency?

Some people say you're fluent when you dream in another language. 
Considering I've had really stupid dreams in Swedish and I can't even "get by" in that language, this seems to be a caca de la vaca.

Some people say you're fluent when you can write, read, listen to, and speak a language at a more-than-being-able-to-get-by level.
Well, there is that speaking thing that doesn't really go too well for me. Good thing I have the other three covered! 75% is still a C!

Some people say you're fluent once you win an argument in a language.
I'll admit I haven't won an argument yet. (This pacifist doesn't like to argue with people. It puts me in a rotten mood and makes me feel sorry for the other person's stupidity, generally speaking...)

BUT... I have officially had my first 10-minute long, on-the-spot rant en español! Can that count as an argument? Almost? Please!?


Reader, this is what happened:

I was nearing the end of my Swedish excursion, standing in line to board my plane. Of course, I'm all about saving money, so I was flying on the wonderful airline called Ryanair. You may have heard how amazing  ridiculous they are. One of the most absurd things that they do is they limit you to one piece of carry-on luggage. One. Uno. Ett. Yeah, I know, it's a pretty standard policy with all the airlines. My carry-on luggage was my backpack - not a huge hiking sort of backpack, but a fairly average-sized backpack, which I am glad to say will comfortably fit in that little dimensional box that they have in the airport, thank you very much. So what problem did I encounter? The problem was nothing more than my "handbag" being outside of the one item (my backpack) that I'm allowed to carry on. Of course, it would have made sense for the Ryanair Nazi Lady to say something about this if:
a.) my "handbag" were huge, which it's not. It's about the same size as a trashy romance novel and every item inside of it could be put in the pockets of my coat;
b.) they had been consistent and told me to put it inside my backpack at the airport security area (especially when this tiny airport in Ny-hurdygurdy, Sweden pretty much only has Ryanair flights). Oh, and if they mentioned it in Madrid, too, that would have been just awe-inspiring consistency with regard to airline policies!
c.) she had mentioned it to every single person in that line who had "more than one" item. Example: the guy in front of me had his suitcase and a huge bag from the duty-free shop. Gee, next time I'll buy a Snickers and get a gigantic duty-free shopping bag so I can put my purse in that!

I digress. The Spanish rant. The Ryanair Nazi Lady told me to put my purse in my bag, and at my angry I-hate-confrontations stuttering about how I would just take it out when I got on the plane, she insisted that I put it in my bag... "And your computer, as well."

"Uhm, that's a Kindle. It's my book that I've been reading since I've been standing in this &$#*ing line for an hour now!" No, I didn't say this, but I was about to when --

"Es una tontería," mumbled the old Spanish lady behind me. And, thankful that the Ryanair Nazi Lady didn't speak Spanish, I turned to the lady and said, "Sí, es que...." and thus began my rant which lasted for about 10 minutes, en español, with the Spanish lady complaining right alongside me about how ridiculous Ryanair is.

So am I fluent? I'll let you decide.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Glad to know airports are ridiculous there too! I thought two bags was bad enough. Lol and I'm always the one with the giant purse that counts as the "personal item" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you are pretty fluent! Ranting is extremely complicated since you have to improvise and it is usually fast talking... So I would say you don't have anything to worry about your español ~.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! I think that's pretty good...

    I think I felt fluent when I could walk confidently into a store, explain my needs, and not feel like they wouldn't understand me or vice versa. Just today I felt into when going into the Phone House to ask about Internet prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, sounds fluent to me! A good, venting of outrage in foreign language - it felt good, it felt comfortable, and obviously she understood you. Definitely fluent. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete