| The site of the Delphic Oracle |
Athens, Greece: my first solo trip to a place where I don't speak one word of the language! I don't want to get too carried away with descriptions, so I'll just leave you with this:
- There are a LOT of ancient ruins in Athens. It seemed like everywhere you turn there was another column with a fence around it saying that it used to be the corner of someone's bathroom (or something like that...)
- Slouvaki is probably the most amazing food I've eaten since the last double-double I got at In-N-Out burger. Why? It's like a kebab, but they make the french fries under the kebab meat cutter thing...so what bonus do you get in the little pita wrap? FRIES! Oh, and did I mention that it's only like 2€ for one?
- I was not only in Athens -- I also went to Delphi which is where the famous oracle was. This day-trip was organised through my hostel, and it gave me a great opportunity to see a little more of Greece, rather than just staying in the huge city of Athens.
- The Parthenon is probably one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. In my life. Yes, it is just that amazing. The facts that there's no concrete holding it all together, that the ancient Athenians knew the "perfect" ratio so the building would be perfect from one's first impression of it (see photo), and that a lot of it is still standing after all these years is just unbelievable to me!
- Walking tours are wonderful. They are cheap and really the best way to see a city -- you don't to worry about where you are because your cutie-patootie Greek guide shows you around the city! Also, when you're on a walking tour and your guide has you climb to the top of a mountain for the "best" view of the city, it's quite refreshing to realise that you are one of the two people who is not out of breath. Thanks, Mom & Dad, for raising me in a town that is at an altitude of 6,000 feet. (Oh, and it probably doesn't hurt that I've spent the majority of the last three months getting lost walking around Madrid)
| The Parthenon, from the "perfect" angle |
For more photos from Greece, click here.
I love reading your posts!
ReplyDelete