I've been a bit ill these last few days. Nothing too serious -- just a cold, which means that I don't call in sick! (I'm pretty sure people hate me for spreading my germs around the school.) This particular cold has given me a "smoker voice" and it's been a bit difficult telling those little niños to draw, cut, and colour. On the other hand, it's been super easy to sing bass! Today, I was trying to tell another teacher that I had a voz de fumadora, and they gave me a funny look and eventually replied, "Oh, in Spanish we say voz de camionera."
A truck driver's voice, huh? Interesting...
Nevertheless, this phrase has now been added to my wall of words that I have taped on my wardrobe door. Some other blog-worthy phrases and words are:
payo(a) -- what the gypsies call us non-gypsies. I'm pretty sure it's not derogatory...except the Royal Spanish Academy Dictionary says that it also means an "ignorant and rough peasant"
qué te cunda -- said when you encourage someone to get a lot done and take advantange of their time. Or, you can say it sarcastically in the same way one would say, "Well, have fun with that!" (especially about a task that is not fun at all and someone is using that task as an excuse not to do something else)
gentuza -- riffraff
charro(a) -- gaudy, garish
tirotear -- to shoot...repeatedly (it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on in Arizona a few weeks ago!)
calderón -- in music, a fermata. (Nerdy me responds with, "Oh, like Calderón de la Barca!")
deciduous (English) -- a tree that loses its leaves during autumn. Who knew that Spanish second graders would have to know such a useless word!
Oooh good words! I didn't know payo(a) or charro(a) or calderón!
ReplyDeleteJust don't be hanging around with an gentuza!
ReplyDelete