Last weekend I went on a little holiday to the wonderful land that is called England. It's pretty much one of my very favourite countries and it was wonderful to have a change of scenery. I have a verrrrry distant cousin in England, so I was able to stay with him and his wife. They were wonderful hosts!
The first day, Chris and I had a drive around Gloucestershire. We went to see the overlook of the River Wye, which had a really beautiful view of the river and surrounding areas, including Herefordshire. Of course, Hereford gets it's claim to fame in My Fair Lady where Eliza Doolittle says "In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly happen!" So I ended up obnoxiously repeating this throughout the whole day while I was in Hereford and Herefordshire.
In Hereford, we went to the cathedral which has the Mappa Mundi - a 13th century map of the world. It was fascinating to look at such an old map and how the worldview was from such a long time ago. Jerusalem was in the centre of the map and there were drawings of unicorns and other Harry Potter-worthy creatures in certain parts of the world. After Hereford, we went to Ledbury, which is a cozy little town. We went for some clotted cream tea in a tearoom there, which was pretty yummy!
Saturday, I saw Harry Potter! I thought it was pretty good compared to the last few films, but it still isn't as wonderful as the books. It was wonderful being able to see it in England, but I did miss the midnight Harry Potter excitement with my Truckee friends this time around. Can't wait until Part 2 is out!
Sunday I enjoyed a lovely roast dinner! AMAZING!! That food sure put my grilled-cheese sandwiches to shame...What a great way to end the weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment