1 backpack + 1 duffel bag + 1 heavily duck-taped suitcase + 10 months worth of STUFF
=
My formula for misfortune during these next two weeks
I've officially started making three different piles of
- Things I will definitely take home with me
- Things I might take home with me
- Things I will give away or throw away or conveniently "forget"
I really have sort of mixed feelings about returning stateside. I love Spain, the people, the culture, and the fact that I have a pretty stress-free life right now. But at the same time, there are things I am really looking forward to doing this summer and people that I miss and cannot wait to see (barbershop, baseball, fresh mountain air, burgers, Mexican food, driving a car, sleeping in a comfortable bed, a drying machine, etc.) Although this year has had its ups and downs, I'm really glad that I had an opportunity to work and live in Spain. It is so different from studying abroad because I'm the only one who is leaving this time. When I was in Alicante, everyone else was leaving too, so the people I became friends with all dispersed across the USA, back to their homes. This time, however, I'm the only one who's leaving and all of my friends are staying here. I guess that gives me a good reason to make frequent trips back here to visit!
I'll see how I feel in a few months. I'll probably want to jump on a plane back here so I can once again put up with small elevators, butane gas, riding public transport, ridiculous and inefficient bureaucracy, and somewhat flavorless food. Why? Because even with all of that, the people have the whole "no pasa nada" attitude and there isn't a constant competition of people trying to "keep up with the Joneses."
So here I go with my packing. And if I don't really get much accomplished until the day before I leave, pues, no pasa nada!
No comments:
Post a Comment