Monday, July 25, 2011

Madrid: Top 10

On my last day in Madrid, one of my best friends asked me to list the top 10 things I like about Madrid. At the time I was a bit overwhelmed with how I could possibly only name ten, but as I started to think of things, it was really difficult for me to come up with a good solid ten things that were worthy enough to be on the list. So here I am... it's almost a month later and I'm still trying to come up with that list. You may remember my 10 reasons why I love Spain (parts 1 ... and 2), so here's my shot at the city in which I just spent 10 months of my life.

10. The Buildings -- Unlike most of Europe, Madrid doesn't have too many buildings that are really old because it has only been the capital since 1561. I know, that's still pretty old for American standards. The coolest buildings are on Gran Vía, which all give an early 20th-century New York feel to the city. Some of the older buildings just look neat because of their colors and windows. And then there are buildings that almost seem out of place because they are incredibly tall and not very near to the center of the city.


9. The Madrid Barajas Airport -- I know this is kind of a weird thing to add to a top 10 list, but it always amazed me how efficient everything was at the Madrid airport. It was always fast to check-in for flights and going through security was always a breeze, too. Maybe I was lucky. Or maybe it really is one of the best airports I've traveled through. Apart from the logistical aspect of Barajas' security, lines, etc... it ended up giving me a sense of home, becoming a symbolic place for some things I love most in life.

8. It's hard to get bored -- I realize that part of the lack of boredom is that I was basically a semi-permanent tourist in Madrid. Nevertheless, there always seems to be something going on in Madrid. Whether you want to go out to party until the sun comes up, or if you want to see these amazing people, it's very easy to find things to do. I saw a few plays and shows, spent a lot of time with friends, went to the book fair in Retiro, and did all that other stuff you may have seen in my other blog entries. It's difficult to just sit around in a stuffy flat all day... even walks in the parks were always welcome! 

7. The Prado (and other museums) -- Going along with number 8, the Prado and museums are definitely one of the best things about Madrid. From the little museums like Lope de Vega's house to the huge Prado Museum, I really enjoyed that there was so much culture, history, and art right at my fingertips.

6. Unique vibe -- Madrid isn't your typical European capital city. Like I said before, it isn't incredibly old, so you don't walk around and see thousands of years of history on the city streets like you would see in places like Rome. However, the city has a sort of welcoming vibe to it that just begs for a visitor to forget their troubles and give in to the late-night culture, to roam the streets as a tourist but relax and grab a drink and a bite to eat while doing so, and to enjoy yourself in a loud, dirty city that doesn't seem like it has much to offer, until you look deeper and find its hidden treasures. Hidden treasures like the nightlife, museums, parks, food, and the gatos de Madrid, of course!

Don Quijote & Sancho Panza
(really, who else would they be!?)
5. Statues -- Everywhere you go, there is some sort of statue that you can look at and think, "Hmm. I wonder who that horseman is..." Sometimes it's easy to figure out who is in the statue... like Don Quijote and Sancho Panza who seem to have a monument in every city in Spain, irregardless of the city's proximity to La Mancha. Sometimes you wonder why they even bother putting up a monument for someone nobody has heard of (Baldomero Espartero? You can tell why people are obsessed with his horse's huevos. *Yawnnn*). The coolest statue, in my opinion, is the symbol of Madrid, which is a bear with a madroño bush. (People always would seem to make a point of telling me that it's a female bear..."Have a look," they'd say.)

4. Metro Station Names -- I'll admit that it was upon the metro that I decided I should go to grad school and get a Masters degree in Spanish. "Tirso de Molina," said the automated announcement. Immediately, I had a realization that the fact that my brain immediately thinking of El Burlador de Sevilla was some sort of sign that I am fascinated enough with Spanish literature to keep learning more and more about it. Thank you Metro de Madrid for giving me things to think about as I would zone out on the train...

3. La Plaza Mayor -- There's something about the Plaza Mayor in Madrid that makes me stop in my tracks and spin around, admiring all of the colors, shapes, shadows, and dimensions of the walls of the square. Then I look at the people, pleasantly enjoying their cañas in the hot Madrid sun. I see the street performers, barking and whistling away for attention. I feel the history of all the people that have passed through that square, whether they came for a market, bull fight, or execution. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's one of those few places in the world that just has a sort of magical feel to it. When can I return!?

2. The Barbershoppers -- I know that there are barbershoppers everywhere, but there's something different about the barbershoppers in Madrid. I feel like because of the barbershoppers, I have a network of very wonderful friends who know how to learn about something brand new, love to sing, and have a wonderful time doing it! I had the pleasure of seeing zero8, Ringmasters, and Crossroads all give concerts in Madrid this year, and the afterglows were absolutely unforgettable! Yet again it has been proven that in barbershop you come and join for the music, but you stay for the friends! And speaking of friends...

1. Lifelong friends -- I know that I have very special friends in more cities than Madrid, but there are people in Madrid that I just instantly bonded with. From the barbershoppers that truly bring joy and sunshine to my life to some of the people I worked with, I ended up making some very close friends this year. And for that reason alone, my year in Madrid was definitely worth it. It was worth the money, the stress, the horrors of grown-up-workplace-life, and the homesickness. Because in the end, it didn't matter so much that I was away from home for so long - I had my friends... and I will have them as friends even as we are miles and miles apart. They welcomed me with open arms from the very beginning, and for that they are the best thing there is in Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment