The time: 10:00 pm.
Me: Curled up with my book on the sofa. (I know - Saturday night at home? What a loooser!)
But wait! What is this I hear?
"¡TOMA! ¡GILIPOLLAS! ¡JODER! ¡HALA MADRID! ¡VENGA! ¡NO! ¡HALAAAA!"
You guessed it. My ears were perking up to the typical sounds of a football match (soccer game) being viewed on nearly every TV in the country.
Except for my TV. So I turned it on and watched the game. Real Madrid vs. FC Barcelona -- this is like Giants vs. Dodgers status around here! Sweet! Except, well... maybe I need football explained to me or something because it really wasn't that enjoyable to watch.
And thus I present to you why I prefer baseball:
- In baseball, the camera view changes as the game is played so you can actually SEE what's happening. I know that the ball moves around a lot more in football, but really? I'd kinda like to SEE those cutie-patootie futbolistas running around.
- In baseball, the commentators seem a little more, well, educated. Seriously, have some variety when they try to score and miss -- saying, "that was an opportunity" every single time someone misses a shot becomes a little annoying! Take a page out of Kruk's and Kuip's book! "Grab some pine, meat!"
- In baseball, the players only fall down when they're really actually hurt, when they're making an amazing diving catch, or when they're celebrating because they just won the World Series (Go Giants!). In football, these mariconazos leap around, tripping over themselves and cry until some person comes and sprays their leg. Boo hoo.
- Baseball fans seem a little more civilized. That is, when something bad happens to the other team, we don't set off fireworks and honk car horns to celebrate their failure. (Well, maybe a Dodgers fan would, but that's a different story)
And the biggest reason that I'm going to stick to baseball is...
- SOMEBODY WILL WIN THE GAME! Really? A TIE! I sat around for 2 hours watching a game that just ends in a TIE! I know that baseball games sometimes take 6 hours to complete... but that's the best part -- the intensity of extra innings, the changing of pitchers, the fear of the beard! But seriously... a TIE?
I really think I'm missing something. Please. An explanation. ¡Por favor!

¡Vaya empanada mental tienes! (no trates de buscarlo en el diccionario)
ReplyDeleteCreo que no soy la persona más adecuada para contarte de qué va esto del fútbol, realmente sólo veo la copa del mundo, la eurocopa y 2 o 3 partidos más al año... no mucho pero suficiente.
Lo primero es el tema del empate. Sí, a veces pasa, sobre todo porque es un partido de liga, en otras competiciones como la copa, se juega hasta que uno de los equipos pierde. ¿Has visto la tensión del lanzamiento de penaltis en una final? El corazón te salta...
Creo que los próximos partidos Madrid - Barça que nos esperan serán bastante mejores que este que te has tragado (yo ni siquiera encendí la tele). La final de copa es una final, pero de un torneo menor así que no te molestes en verla, pero los de Champions creo que merecen la pena. Si quieres el partido de vuelta (si todavía hay opciones para el R.Madrid) intentamos verlo en un Bar y vas a saber por qué le gusta tanto a la gente de este país. Prometo explicarte cómo funciona el juego y traducirte las expresiones más interesantes que griten mis maleducados conciudadanos :-)
I'm with you Karen!! I much prefer baseball, besides Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey are to cute!!!
ReplyDelete